In the summer, the whole Tam Coc valley shows up as a brilliant picture with a mix of vivid blue and yellow color.
In June, the sky is so blue and clear, without any cloud. Standing on high peaks looking down, the whole Tam Coc valley is like the country summer song.
Traveling to Tam Coc, sitting on the boat, lightly paddling, visitors seem to get into the land of fairy with charming paintings and fragrant rice fields.
In the hot summer days, away from the oppressiveness of the city, you can completely fall into the peaceful life in the countryside. To visit this place, depart from Hanoi, you can choose 2 days 1 night trip at the weekend to combine exploring other attractions in Ninh Binh like Trang An, Bai Dinh, Van Long ...
However, if you do not have much time you can fully explore Tam Coc rice season in 24 hours, with the schedule as below:
- 7 am: Depart from Hanoi, you can travel by car or motorbike, but you should take a motorbike to take a closer look at other tourist destinations.
+ By motorbike: follow the National Highway 1A towards Ninh Binh city. Going through the city center along the way to Thanh Hoa, you will notice that on the right side there will be a very large signpost pointing to the Tam Coc tourist site.
+ By bus: You can catch the bus at Giap Bat or My Dinh (Hanoi) to Ninh Binh at the price of about 60,000 to 100,000 VND per person (2.5 – 4 USD). With a journey time of about 2 hours, you can reach Ninh Binh city center. From here you can take a taxi or xe om (motorbike taxi)to Tam Coc wharf.
- 9h30: Arriving at the boat pier, buy tickets to visit the place by boat. Admission ticket for adults is 120,000 VND (5.7 USD)/ person / visit, for children under 1.40 m high is 60,000 VND (2.5 USD)/ person / visit. Boat trip is 150,000 VND (7 USD)/ trip / boat.
- 10 am: Start the sightseeing, to discover Tam Coc area, you only have one way is by boat. Summer is also the season of rice harvesting in Tam Coc, tourists can both avoid the heat, relax and enjoy the nature of a quiet countryside.
The name Tam Coc means "three caves", including Ca cave, Hai cave and Ba cave. All three caves are formed by the Ngo Dong River, which flows through the mountains.
Ca cave is 127 m long, flowing through a large mountain, the cave is over 20 m wide. Hai cave is 1 km from Ca cave, 60 m long. Ba cave is near Hai cave, 50 m long, cave ceiling is like a rock arch, lower than the other two caves. In the caves, the air is so cool, there are many stalactites hanging down with many shapes.
It takes about 2 hours to visit all three caves and back. In 2 hours, visitors will enjoy beautiful scenery on the banks of Ngo Dong River. It is like a colorful carpet with green paddy fields, yellow ripen rice fields which are being harvested.
- 12h30: When the boat is back at the wharf, it’s also time for lunch. You can take a nap and enjoy the specialties of the ancient capital, in which the most famous is mountain goat meat served with fried rice.
- 14h: After eating and resting, you can enjoy the afternoon to visit the nearby places. There are attractive options for you such as:
• Climb the Mua Cave to admire the beautiful scenery of the Tam Coc rice season and give yourself beautiful photos. This is an eco-tourism destination that is suitable for those who love outdoor activities.
• Visiting Thai Vi Temple, which is the place where Tran Thai Tong, Tran Thanh Tong, Tran Hung Dao, Tran Quang Khai and Queen Tran Thi Dung are worshiped. Guests can walk to Thai Vi Temple - 2 km from Tam Coc pier. The small temple located in the middle of rice paddies will give you an enjoyable experience.
• Thien Huong cave located on the road from Ngo Dong River to Thai Vi Temple, is a dry and bright cave located in the middle of the mountain about 15 m above the ground. The unique feature of the cave is the hollow, exposed peak where you can stand to enjoy the view of the blue sky, cool wind and beautiful landscape. This is a special point that not all caves have.
- 17h: Return to Hanoi after an interesting discovery day on the ancient capital city.